Washington, DC — Last week, Arizonans voted to re-elect NARAL-endorsed Greg Stanton (AZ-04) to the US House of Representatives. This victory over anti-choice Republicans marks a major victory for reproductive freedom and abortion rights in Arizona.
In response to this victory, President of NARAL Pro-Choice America Mini Timmaraju issue the following statement:
“We know that 9 in 10 Arizonans support legal abortion and the freedom to make our own decisions about our own bodies—and this Election Day, they made their values clear. Rep. Stanton has consistently voted to defend reproductive freedom, and we are fortunate to have him back in Congress. We have a lot of work to do to make abortion legal in all 50 states, and having Rep. Stanton in the House will help us win our rights back.”
NARAL Pro-Choice America Southwest Regional Director Caroline Mello Roberson released the following statement:
“NARAL Pro-Choice Arizona and our more than 75,000 members across Arizona salute Rep. Stanton for her victory over anti-choice Republicans. We know we can count on her to courageously fight for reproductive freedom, and we look forward to continuing to work with her to protect that freedom the most basic.
In June, the US Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in his decision at Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization– ending the constitutional right to abortion and opening the door for extremist state parliamentarians to put a total ban on abortion. This decision has had a devastating impact across the country as 15 states have implemented extreme or total restrictions on abortion. The people most hurt by these restrictions and restrictions are those who already face barriers to accessing abortion care—including women; Black, Latina/x, Asian American, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, and indigenous; people who work to make ends meet; the LGBTQ+ community; immigrants; young people; who live in the village community; people with disabilities, and other historically oppressed communities.
NARAL is launching its largest midterm election program to elect up-and-down candidates at this critical time in the fight for reproductive freedom. The program focused on deep field investments in phone banking, door knocking, youth organizing, and canvassing, and a strong communications campaign to support candidates and ballot initiatives in Arizona, Georgia, California, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Nevada. Read more about NARAL-endorsed candidates here.
NARAL’s work in Arizona includes:
- Knocking on over 2,000 doors, making almost 36,000 calls, and sending over 51,000 texts;
- Hosting 43 local reproductive freedom candidate and champion events;
- Hired organizing staff on the ground in Arizona to select winners for statewide seats for the first time; and
- Deploy NARAL Pro-Choice America president Mini Timmaraju to fight side-by-side with the champion and get out the vote in key races.
Key components of our midterm campaign include:
- Harnessing the full power of our 4 million members to mobilize their communities through traditional organizing tactics. In total, we knocked on more than 330,000 doors, made almost 707,000 calls, sent more than 868,000 text messages, and recruited more than 4,860 volunteers..
- Continue to expand the impact of our cutting-edge research on voter sentiment on abortion, including our pioneering freedom-centered messaging, by train candidates, volunteers, and activists to speak to their communities in a way that we know aligns with their values and moves them to act on their beliefs.
- Rolling out the pilot program in Michigan and 14 organizers worked on seven four-year college campuses and more than 20 community college campuses to register voters and activate more than 721 volunteers.
- Support candidates in more than 200 national races for federal and state offices.
- NARAL, Planned Parenthood Action Fund, and EMILY’s List proclaim a partnership in May to collectively spend a historic $150 million in the middle of 2022 to choose the champion of reproductive freedom up and down the ballot throughout the country.
For more than 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has fought to protect and promote reproductive freedom at the federal and state levels—including access to abortion, birth control, pregnancy and post-partum care, and paid family leave—for every body NARAL is powered by 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing 8 in 10 Americans who support legal abortion.