Woman ‘feared for her life’ during alleged rape by World Cup cricketer


Sydney, Australia
CNN

A woman in Sydney, Australia, who was allegedly raped by a Sri Lankan World Cup cricketer last week, told police she feared for her life during the attack, CNN affiliate 7 News reported.

Danushka Gunatilaka has been charged with four counts of having sex without consent after he was arrested by police in Sydney on November 5 – after the team played their final T20 cricket World Cup match.

Gunatilaka maintains his innocence of all charges and intends to vigorously defend the case in court, his attorney told CNN Thursday.

Police were released in court in Sydney on Wednesday, and CNN affiliate 7 News detailed the police charges against Gunatilaka.

Also Read :  World Cup predictions: Breaking down Mexico odds, Group C preview for 2022

The woman, who has not been identified, told police the couple went on a date in Sydney after meeting on Tinder, according to a police statement and 7 News reports.

According to police, the couple then went to the woman’s home in Rose Bay, on the harbour, where the woman says the alleged rape took place, 7 News reported.

According to the police document, the victim, Gunathilaka, refused to wear a condom and choked the woman three times, reports 7 news.

7 News reports a detailed account of the police interview given by the cricketer after Gunathilaka’s arrest.

Also Read :  Bleak winter looms as Russian strikes cripple Ukraine's power capacity

Police said they “confirmed the victim’s story with some of the suspects but denied that he was violent or had a license.”

“The complainant grabbed the defendant’s wrist and tried to lift the defendant’s hand, but the defendant clamped down on her neck,” the police report reads, 7 News reported.

“The complainant was afraid for her life and could not get away from the accused,” 7 News reported, citing a police report.

“She kept trying to get away from the accused, which she obviously didn’t want,” police said, according to 7News.

The prosecutor said the woman did not consent to any sexual acts without a condom, 7 News reported.

Also Read :  Judicial Watch sues Biden admin over John Kerry's travel costs, calendar, staffer info

Gunatilaka is being held without bond. He did not plead the case.

According to 7 News, the next hearing in the case is January 12.

CNN has not obtained the court documents.

Strict new laws on sexual consent in the state of New South Wales this year require sexual partners to obtain verbal or symbolic consent before having sex, and sexual partners are responsible for explaining consent.

The law stipulates that sexual consent for one act does not give consent for other acts.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Articles

Back to top button